HW: web "ring" proposal

Frank Weil frankw at COMM.MOT.COM
Tue Mar 18 16:43:11 EST 1997

For all the people out there in boc-l land who have Hawkwind related
web pages, I have a proposal.  I have seen "rings" created for topics,
where each main page links to the site "before" it and "after" it in
the ring.  This way, if someone wants to browse everything about a
topic, they can circle around the ring without having to deal with
arbitrary links on people's pages.

For the Hawkwind pages, for example, if the ring is
        (official page) <-> (Sonique's page) <->
        (Golden Void page) <-> (Calvert page) <->
        [wrap back to official page]
then the official page would point forward to Sonique's page and
backwards to the Calvert page, Sonique's page would point forward to
the Golden Void page and backwards to the official page, etc.  (Don't
read anything into who I used in the example above, I just chose the
first few that came to mind.)

This would require:
        (1) Volunteers to be in the ring.  Please let me know if you
            want to be part of this.
        (2) An agreed-to initial ring order (which doesn't really
            matter that much since the ring has no start).  I'm open
            to suggestions here.
        (3) Some sort of format for the links.  I can take a stab at
            this if there is interest.
        (4) An agreement that each site in the ring occasionally check
            to make sure that its two links are still functioning so
            that the ring isn't broken.
        (5) Some idea of where we add new ring entries.  I am open to
            suggestions here, too.

Comments?  Suggestions?  Large quantities of unmarked bills?

Frank