OFF: boots!

Wed Mar 19 04:25:48 EST 1997

On tis 18 mar 1997 11.57 "Jon Browne" <jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
> In message <E0w6wR8-0002Wu-00 at ursa.cus.cam.ac.uk>, Carl Edlund Anderson
> <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> writes
> >    Well, the first record I bought was the Monkees _Headquarters_,
> > which IMO is still pretty cool :)
>
> The Monkees *are* cool. NO Smiley! Headquarters is the best album, with
> the (remastered with extra tracks) Head Soundtrack - compiled and
> arranged by Jack Nicholson) running a close second.

     Well, obviously I'm in agreement there.  Though I consider _Pieces,
Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones_ in the top three as well.  And as a major
Nezhead, I gotta support all those tracks like "You Told Me", "You Just May
Be the One", "Sunny Girlfriend" (or "Scroungy Girlfriend" on the live album
:) , "Salesman", "Circle Sky" ....

     _Head_.  Trouble covered "Porpoise Song".  Gary Ramon (Sundial)
covered "Circle Sky".  Frank Zappa appears briefly in it.  'Nuff said :)

> I couldn't give a
> stuff if they were manufactured or corporate or anything else. It was 30
> years ago, the music's good by any yardstick. The show's are still
> watchable occasionally too!

    IMO, the show remains pretty good fun (I mean, _every_ 60s sitcom
reuses the same plot over and over again!) and certainly at the time it was
incredibly innovative in many ways.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
Dept. of ASNAC, University of Cambridge            -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)