HW: Queens of Deliria

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Mar 19 08:32:17 EST 1997

Somebody before Bryan wrote:

> >Firstly, Bryan wrote:
> >>One thing in particular, though:  They listed in their catalogue
> >>the SF book _Queens of Deliria_ but the price seemed too high.  I've
> >>got the first in the series _Time of the Hawklords_ (which is not
> >>that good, really), and I do want to get the next one anyways.

Queens of Deliria, for all its dreadfulness, is a fairly rare book  -
probably since no-one in their right minds would want to re-issue it for
the popular market today.   So if you've got a copy then it's worth
hanging on to in case you need to trade at any time and if you haven't
got a copy then it's definitely worth looking out for a cheapish version
- or buying the box set which gives you the CD as well   8-)

Do NOT, however read the book itself though unless you really want to
spend a bad afternoon or waste a couple of hours before going to sleep.
It is cringeworthy in the extreme.

> Thanks but I am in Canada.  I was being kind to the first
> novel when I said it was really not very good.  I seem to
> recall Butterworth's name somewhere in a SF anthology of short
> stories in the early 70's, so I hope he didn't save his worst
> efforts for the Hawkwind titles.

Moorcock and Butterworth, were co-editors (I think, please correct me if
I'm wrong) of the 'New Worlds' publication for many years and then went
their VERY separate ways.

> I'm really just kidding about writing a Hawkwind novel, but I am
> positive any one of us could match Butterworth's efforts.

There is a 3rd title in the series, the graphic novel, 'Ledge of Darkness'
and this came out recently as part of a package with (was it in New
World's Fair?) and is worth the purchase tho' I'd have to re-read it to
remind myself what it was all about now.    Griffin really did a
tremendous job on these packages and it's a real shame that they've
gone under.   Thank goodness they managed to get Sonic Attack and CYM
out before everything went pear-shaped.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk