Boots and New Material

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Mar 19 10:33:43 EST 1997

Theo>"It's strange that the Allmans, a band which encourages taping,
developed many songs which eventually appeared on 'Where it all
Begins' on stage before the album was even recorded.  Yet they then
release that album, and I believe it sold pretty well.  What's my
point?  I'm not sure, other than that bootlegging probably didn't
hurt that album's success.  I guess this argues for the case that
boots are mainly bought by rabid fans who have to have everything
they can get their mitts on."

I agree, who else really wants them but die hards.  Some collectors just
want to have there hands on everything a band puts out.  Nothing wrong
with that.  Some bands like the Allmans consider this others don't.
I'll leave out the names but I band I saw recently was divided amongst
itself on boots.  The bass player's comment was "Tape away, its just
music and its meant for people to hear."  The guitarist comments was
"This band does not condone the taping of our live appearances.  We do
not support in any manner illegal recordings of our performances."  Go
figure.

Theo>"But I would disagree with you that a lot of bands try out new
stuff
in concert before putting out an album.  I just can't think of too
many bands that have enough confidence in their fans to try a stunt
like this.  Most bands want to play stuff the fans aleady know and
are comfortable with:  3OC syndrome?"

I disagree here.  Lots of bands do this.  3OC syndrome is the wrong
example anyway becuase they have been trying out the "new material" on
us for years, guess they're still not happy with the songs.  8>).  Y&T
played over 200 songs live before deciding the playlist for Ten.  Didn't
help them much with that one though.

lil ab

"People who use Queensryche lyrics in their sig lines are ....KEWL!"

Any other Q'ryche fans out there think the Lady In Black would be a
great cover for BOC?