OFF: Imports

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Mar 19 04:54:31 EST 1997

In message <B0000001200 at maxwell.pcmicro.com.au>, Sonique
<sonique at MAIL.PCMICRO.COM.AU> writes
>It's not *that* bad (as France) for local releases, but it's true that
>Australia is a huge market for the US MAil Order business. A typical local
>release will be between $A23 and $A30 (10-14 pound) compared to say $15 USD
>(incl P&P) for mail order.
>
>Imports are another thing ..... the Virgin "V/A Monsters, Robots and Bug Men"
>CD was $47.95 (22 quid) for instance ... and Virgin *ARE* distributed locally
>... by Virgin!!!
>
>Sonique

I've just started importing Goldmine to sell in my shop. I hadn't seen
it before and I cannot *believe* the difference in prices. Archive
International (60's Punk/Garage/Psyche) discs are around 5-7 bucks a
pop, from Reckless in Chicago. I've been paying 12-14 UKP each for these
for years! (And still calling them good value 'cos I **love** them so
much!) The three Nuggets discs, I paid UKP £19.50 each! i.e. the thick
end of 100 bucks for all three! With overseas post being $7 for the
first disc or flat rate of $12, I can't see myself spending a great deal
in UK record shops anymore. Viva The Global Economy!
--
Jon Browne
OB CD - Spirit/remasters/12 Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus