New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Wed Mar 19 13:17:44 EST 1997

Daniel Wikdahl wrote:

> At 05:27 PM 3/19/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >On 19 Mar 16:54, Shari Hill wrote:
> >> Derek mentioned I might like Hawkwind, too, but I haven't been able to find
> >> any around here.  Could someone give me an idea of what they're like before I
> >> special order it?  Thanks much!
> >
> >The usual album recommended for BOC fans to try first is "Live Chronicles".
> >This is doubly true for Moorcock fans.  The title makes more sense when
> >you hear the opening line: "Welcome to the Chronicles of the Black Sword".
> >
> >Dave.
> >--
>         Well that was the same album (along with "Chronicles" and
> Levitation")         that alot of you guys recommended me when I was going
> to do the same                 thing as Shari... I don't think it is a good
> choice... if there is         a BOC album these albums are close in sound
> and spirit... is it Club         Ninja... (IMHO)
>         Shari -try "Hall of the Mountain Grill" or "Warriors on the Edge of
> Time" instead (if you like early BOC)... or maybe "Quark, Strangeness
> and Charm" if "FOUO" is your fave BOC album.

I would agree with you on those choices. The Black Sword period of their
music is more straight-forward hard rock, whereas those others are more
varied musically. Chronicles, no matter how good it may be, isn't really
a prime example of Hawkwind's originality. It's a bit like Pink Floyd's
Wall in that respect.

William