New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Thu Mar 20 00:33:47 EST 1997

>Derek mentioned I might like Hawkwind, too, but I haven't been able to find
>any around here.  Could someone give me an idea of what they're like before I
>special order it?  Thanks much!

That's a simple question but rather hard to nail down in a simple reply.  HW has
changed so much from their early days to their current stuff, and at all times
in between that it would be hard to describe them straight up.

I bridged over to the band in a similar way (save a detour via IITBOTFTBD,
something which you should not listen to first at any cost), and found
Chronicle of the Black Sword to be an effective bridge between the two
bands in terms of Moorcock's connection, sound, and feel.  Especially for the
Fire of Unknown Origin period of BOC history.  Well, except
the drumming, but that's another story.  Right now Griffin's demise seems
to have made finding them in normal retail chains around here suddenly
rather difficult, you'll probably have to check through used stuff or order
something (not too many HW people seem to sell their stuff to used
CD places, generally if you find a bunch it means something like a divorce
or a death...).

Roger Shrubstaff               "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random

Baron of Silverwater, Kingdom of the Burning Lands (Amtgard)
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm
(Andrew A. Apold)