(from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Fri Mar 21 06:03:34 EST 1997

>In my original mailing, I did say that I'm a fan of BOC and Moorcock--but let
>me say it's _not_ just the Moorcock stuff that interests me.  Along with
>_Fire of Unknown Origin_, I've noticed _Imaginos_ has taken up permanent
>residence in the tape deck (I haven't found it on CD yet).  _Agents of
>Fortune_ is another one I've found that I like--it must be the
>X-Files/Millenium fan in me.

Whoa!  You haven't even got to BOC's best albums yet!  (_Secret Treaties_ and
_Tyranny and Mutation_, by the way.)

Strikes me you might like Calvert-era HW best - the late Bob Calvert was lead
vocalist and main lyricist for roughly 76-79 (although he was associated with
HW for much logner), and his songs usually have a tale to tell.  If you like
the idea of a song that starts, "I would have liked you to have been
deep-frozen too," then check out "Spirit of the Age" on _Quark, Strangeness
and Charm_ [1977].  The other strong album from that time is _PXR5_ [1979].

Off-list, you ought to go and get a copy of _The Evil One_ by Roky Erickson
and the Aliens, which is not a million miles away in tone from the best BOC -
and you'll probably be hooked from the opening riff to "Two-Headed Dog"...
and no X-Files type should miss tracks like "Creature with the Atom Brain":
"these murders are being perpetrated by dead men/charged with atom rays!"
Roky himself actually is from Mars!

Enjoy!

- Andy

Andy Gilham/Andy_Gilham at msn.com/Andy_Gilham at compuserve.com