(from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Mar 21 08:22:37 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Daniel Wikdahl wrote:

> WHAT!?! Johan för sjutton gubbar! :-) Guys, you have to explain this to me
> why should a Oyster like Levitation at all? This album is one of very few that I
> don't play LOUD on my stereo 'cause I would feel extremely embarrassed if my
> neighbours could hear that I listen to so silly music.

        I feel obliged to come to the defence of `Levitation' - especially
the title track, it's quite good stuff, it's just space-rock not blanga,
and not what you expect under the name of HW. I maintain that if some
other space-rock band had produced `Levitation' we'd mostly acclaim it.
You may of course differ - it was heavily sampled on the first HW tape I
ever got (the Elite comp. `Spirit of the Age') so I have an early
attachment to it.

> >QS&C           - Spirit of the Age
>
> Agree on this one though... But Damnation Alley has to be included... it's the
> only way to teach a BOC-fan why violins are essential in rock-music...

        Right with you here. Never understand how anyone can fail to like
this.

> Doremi -Time We Left this World Today

        Might be a little, um, rough for a newbie? On the other hand, if
they're going to bite then feeding 'em the heavy stuff early is probably a
good way to ensure addiction - in the words of one of my converts,
"Nothing is quite the same after `Space Ritual', is it?"

> Urban Guerilla could fit in too. >
>                                 -Daniel

        But you _would_ say that ;-)
 /_______________________________________________________________________\
 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                      |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk         |
 |      "`It's a Venusian space bassist,' said Turner the bird being."   |
 |            (Hawkwind, sleeve notes to 'Doremi Fasol Latido')          |

P.S. Shari, you don't appear to list `Cultosaurus Erectus' in your BOC
collection! You must remedy this immediately, it's vastly better than FoUO
(unless you like the synth-pop tinges of `After Dark' and `Don't Turn Your
Back'). And I stand with Andy Gilham's comments about `Tyranny and
Mutation' and `Secret Treaties' too...