OFF- Eloy

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Fri Mar 21 11:30:11 EST 1997

> > I kinda think some of their later stuff sounds a bit too much like
> > latter-day Pink Floyd. One track in particular on the album RA is almost
> > identical to Learning to Fly. I seem to recall METROMANIA being rather
> > Floydish as well.
> >
> > William
> >
> Well, I _like_ Pink Floyd, especially the Roger Waters-era stuff. The PF
> influence on Eloy is unmistakeable for anything else, but I don't care.
> Considering that PF isn't doing the music that I care for anymore, it is nice
> to have someone picking up that torch (besides Porcupine Tree, which has kinda
> shed the PF influence on their new one SIGNIFY, which is a must-have!).
>
> I never thought of METROMANIA as being overly PF influenced (now, SILENT CRIES
> & MIGHTY ECHOES, there's a Floyd clone!). I thought that METROMANIA has a more
> "guitar-rock with synths" feel to it, basing my opinion on the title track,
> "Escape To The Heights" & "Nightriders". Almost has a touch of punkish
> agression to the release, but without the amaturishness that punk has.

METROMANIA reminds me more of Roger Waters' solo recordings. It's still
a great album though. My favourite Eloy album would be the one prior to
that, the title of which has temporarily slipped my mind. I also liked
SILENT CRIES...

> RA & "Learning To Fly", eh? Hmmm, now that you mention it, there is a bit
> of similarity. But not that much of a cop. They were both released within a
> year of each other (PF 1987 and RA 1988, I think. But I think that RA may have
> even been out before the PF release, at least on vinyl. CD's lagged the vinyl
> releases in them days.) so there may be some "spirit of the age" cross-pollen-
> ization there.

I think it was the song Rainbow which reminds me of Learning to Fly. I
first found Ra after the Floyd album was released on CD, though as you
say, it could have been out on LP a lot longer.

Eloy would still be one of the few bands around to still stick to their
musical roots, though.

William