Eloy - where to buy in US

cjohnson cjohnson at HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Fri Mar 21 12:20:07 EST 1997

On the recommendation of a fellow BOCLer, I got a catalog from a guy
named Doug Larson.  He runs his own mail order service (a la Ranjit)
out of New Jersey.  He also has an email addy.

This guy carries a huge selection of Eloy CDs at the best USA price
I've seen yet, around US$16 each for most.  Note that a few Eloy CDs
are still uncommon even as imports, and cannot be found for less
than around US$25.

Anyway, I ordered 4 Eloys from him and they came in quickly.  Info:

        Doug Larson
        62 Crane St
        Caldwell, NJ 07006
        (201) 226 - 6332 voice
        (201) 226 - 1258 fax
        douglars at hicom.net

As far as what to buy, there was a distinct change in Eloy's sound
around 1980+.  My favorite period is clearly the older sound, which
has drawn many comparisons (not all good) to mid-seventies Pink Floyd.
This includes:  'Ocean' and 'Dawn' (2 releases that together tell a
story - the best!), 'Colours', 'Power and the Passion', 'Silent Cries
Cries and Mighty Echoes', and 'Live' (another great introduction).

HWref: 'SC&ME' contains some very overt references to HW, with lyrics
such as "..warrior on the edge of time.." and "..spirit of the age..".
This album originally turned me on to Eloy thru the HW connection.

The later Eloy period (which I care less for) covers albums like 'Ra',
'Metromania', 'Destination', 'Planets', and 'The Tides Return Forever'
(best of the later bunch IMHO, but expensive).

I *did* pick up the Griffin 'Best of Eloy: 1972-75' collection, which
is drawn from the 3 albums 'Inside', 'Floating', and 'Power and the
Passion' (all three came just before 'Dawn').  This is an excellent
low-price purchase for any USA Eloy fan!  It is also the cheapest
Eloy CD you will find in the USA...  :-(

Captain Cloud
cjohnson at hpsc.hisd.harris.com