(from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Fri Mar 21 13:41:58 EST 1997

Shari Hill wrote:
> And yes, just to clarify things a bit, I AM female.  Surely I can't be the
> only one on this list?!?!

        I've made a comment similar to this a couple of months ago, but I shall
reprise it here...
        The amount of female input in the realms of Hawkwind is virtually nil
(at least as far as the actual band is concerned). Hawkwind had one
female vocalist, who sang on about five or so songs that I know of, of
which I only have one of (from "Palace Springs" live). The only other
feminine facet of the band are the (in my opinion) quite poor taste
dancers that "jiggle their breasts" at the audience during concerts.
        The only other connection that I can think of is of a band called
Underground Zero. I have about four of their songs, and have never
seen/heard of any other material of theirs. There must be some
connection between them and Hawkwind, as they are on several compilation
albums, but I don't know how. I have made several pleas on the list for
any info about them, but to little avail. They are very good and are
worth looking out for.
        The lack of female input in Hawkwind, and to a lesser extent "space
rock" (or whatever you call it) is a very sad thing, as in the few
occasions that women have entered this arena, they have been a breath of
fresh air, as it were.
        I've had a bit of a problem with the lack of women for quite a while,
but with a bit (a lot) or searching you can find some, though.
        Well, this has gone off topic a bit, but it's one of those things I
have to get off my chest every few months or so...

This was brought to you by the Max Wilcox TV Workshop.
        "Never ever, bloody anything, ever."
                Or, more precisely...
        "Matter? Where's it coming from?"