(from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Fri Mar 21 15:05:53 EST 1997

It's unfair, IMO, to single Hawkwind out for sexism.  How many hard rock/heavy
metal bands  - except for "girl groups" - have ever had female members?  Why
is Sean Yseult one of only two women to have performed on stage at Donington
ever?  (No, I can't remember who was the other!)  Have you ever seen a
Whitesnake video?!?

For a long time, the dancers have generally been as decently clad as any
dancers, and there's often been equal numbers of male and female dancers.  And
back in the early '70s, we were still into hippy shit like "Hair", and the
on-stage nudity, by Stacia in particular, was more in a spirit of sexual
liberation that sexual titillation.  I don't know if the band ever played in
the nude, as they threatened once, but it would have been more than just
breasts jiggling if they did...

'Course, when New York clubs have their own go-go girls in cages, that's
another matter entirely.

>        I've had a bit of a problem with the lack of women for quite a while,

Never mind!  We all have the odd barren week... :))

Anyway, joking aside, you might as well complain about the lack of Black
members of Hawkwind ever.  Although they've had at least one gay member.

- Andy

Andy Gilham/Andy_Gilham at msn.com/Andy_Gilham at compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Andy_Gilham