OFF Jeff Beck/Punky Meadows/Angel/Frank Zappa/Friday Afternoon

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Fri Mar 21 17:09:22 EST 1997

----------
From:   Guido Vacano[SMTP:gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU]
Sent:   Friday, March 21, 1997 2:22 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: OFF Jeff Beck/Punky Meadows/Angel/Frank Zappa/Friday Afternoon

> Craig Shipley wrote
>
> >Yeah, but their guitarist was/contains more fluid than Jeff Beck. And
>
> Sorry guys, that makes me really MAD - how on earth can you make a comparison
> like that, OK by his own admission, Beck is no "genius", and he himself is
> awed by the technical virtuosity of some modern players, but JB was/is
> one of the great INNOVATORS of the electric guitar!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree. IMHO, Jeff Beck most certainly IS a genius (also played the
best concert I've ever seen).

Yo' Guido!!

_I_ didn't make the comment about the lack of JB's genius. I did make the comment about ol'
Punky containing more fluid than JB, tho...

Just settin' the record straight...
> Have you ever heard FZ's BABY SNAKES or LIVE IN NY release? If you haven't,
> the line above (and several others I used) were take directly from a
> track that appears on those releases, titled "Punky's Whips". It is a sad
> tale of woe of how FZ's boy drummer, Terry Bozio, becomes infatuated
> with a PR photo of Angels' guitarist, Punky Meadows. Since we were talking
> about Angel, I just couldn't resist... >:->

I'm surprised you remember that much Pops! :-) It's also interesting
because Terry Bozzio was playing drums forJeff Beck on _Guitar Shop_, and
the aforementioned concert.

Damn, son, I saw that concert tour back in '76. And the CD's help to keep the ol'
braincells refreshed...

> And I agree, JB is a helluva guitarist! One of my desert island disks would
> have to be BLOW BY BLOW.

So much for your reputation for senility. :-) ;-)

Heh, heh, heh... must be all of them vitamins that I'm poppin'! No Geritol or Serutan,
yet.

> JB is still around and active, can't say the same for ol' Punky...So, relax,
> it was all a bit of humour!

BTW Craig--I can't tell you how much I love editing out all those lines
of ms-tnef crap whenever I reply to one of your posts.It makes me feel
better dropping some cash for the newest version of OS/2. Down with
Micro$oft!!!! :-)

I thought I clobbered that! But I just checked the address book option for the mailing
list and the damn thing was back on again. I unchecked it AGAIN, so lets' see how it
does now....

objCDPlayer : Stephan Whitlan / Map Reference (UK synthesist with a wry sense of humour!
There is a hidden track on here, a full-tilt synth version of Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual" played
on old vintage synths. Well, it made _me_ laugh!)

Craig

IGuido