Female BOC/HW fans

Shari Hill ShariHill at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 21 17:16:04 EST 1997

In a message dated 3/21/97 1:41:08 PM, Max wrote:

>        The amount of female input in the realms of Hawkwind is virtually
nil
>(at least as far as the actual band is concerned). Hawkwind had one
>female vocalist, who sang on about five or so songs that I know of, of
>which I only have one of (from "Palace Springs" live). The only other
>feminine facet of the band are the (in my opinion) quite poor taste
>dancers that "jiggle their breasts" at the audience during concerts.

I guess I'm not surprised female input on these bands is minimal--like I told
Daniel, I've been a big Rush fan for about 10 years, now, and I have yet to
meet a female who will admit to liking them.  I do honestly know some
shallow-minded bimbos who won't listen to Rush because "they're old and
ugly."  That just burns me up!  It's probably better for all concerned if
they stick to their Bon Jovi, though.  I suppose the lack of gooey love songs
and the inclusion of actual imagination would shatter their fagile psyches.

I imagine the jigglings of breasts and such do put a damper on certain bands'
appeal to female fans.  IMO, it _is_ poor taste, but if I actually make it
out to see a concert, I'm not going to let a few bouncing breasts spoil it
for me.  Like Pam wrote recently, I've mostly had male friends all my
life--there are some things you just learn to ignore or take in stride.  The
only thing I regret is that you almost never get to turn the tables on 'em!

[snip]

>        The lack of female input in Hawkwind, and to a lesser extent "space
>rock" (or whatever you call it) is a very sad thing, as in the few
>occasions that women have entered this arena, they have been a breath of
>fresh air, as it were.

I haven't had much experience with "space rock" but I _am_ in one of those
moods to acquire new music, y'know?  My already odd mix needs some new blood.
 That's why I'm looking into HW.

>        I've had a bit of a problem with the lack of women for quite a
while,
>but with a bit (a lot) or searching you can find some, though.

Hmm . . . the "lack of women" in general, or the lack of female HW fans?  ;-)

Andy wrote:

>It's unfair, IMO, to single Hawkwind out for sexism.  How many hard
rock/heavy
>metal bands  - except for "girl groups" - have ever had female members?

I don't think Hawkwind has really been "singled out for sexism" here, unless
you're referring to an earlier discussion.  It doesn't matter to me whether
all the members are men and always have been, what matters is whether I like
their music and lyrics.  Someone who would get upset that a band has never
had a female member is just a sad, small person.  If you like what they're
playing, what should it matter what sex the members are?

>Have you ever seen a Whitesnake video?!?

Mmmm . . . nope.  Never liked the music enough to bother.

>For a long time, the dancers have generally been as decently clad as any
>dancers, and there's often been equal numbers of male and female dancers.
 And
>back in the early '70s, we were still into hippy shit like "Hair", and the
>on-stage nudity, by Stacia in particular, was more in a spirit of sexual
>liberation that sexual titillation.  I don't know if the band ever played in
>the nude, as they threatened once, but it would have been more than just
>breasts jiggling if they did...

Don't know who/what Stacia is/was, but it's generally been said that if you
don't appreciate nudity or the like, you don't have to go to the shows.  For
such people, both male and female, it's probably best to stay home and listen
to the albums in peace.  Or, you learn to adapt.

[snip]

>Anyway, joking aside, you might as well complain about the lack of Black
>members of Hawkwind ever.  Although they've had at least one gay member.

Here's another one of those
if-you-like-the-music-just-shut-up-and-enjoy-it-things.  Hearing a recording
of a band, I highly doubt I would notice whether they had a Black member or a
gay member or a mute purple troll member.  (Unless the troll happened to be
singing, I guess.  ;-) )   If someone is really offended by the sexual/racial
makeup/orientation of a band, the best solution is to listen to something
else or form your own band that worries more about equality than talent and
member cooperation.

Now that I've thoroughly annoyed everyone with my constant questions and
letters . . . I'm leaving for the weekend.  Enjoy the quiet while it lasts!

Shari