Female fans etc

Maxine Wesley mxw at DMU.AC.UK
Mon Mar 24 06:48:52 EST 1997

> >Shari Hill wrote:
> >> And yes, just to clarify things a bit, I AM female.  Surely I can't be the
> >> only one on this list?!?!
> >Me too! even tho my trade is predominately male-and it seems that I have

<aol on>

me too!

<aol off>

> I imagine the jigglings of breasts and such do put a damper on certain bands'
> appeal to female fans.  IMO, it _is_ poor taste, but if I actually make it
> out to see a concert, I'm not going to let a few bouncing breasts spoil it
> for me.

I find it most amusing and especially like watching the audiences eyes
fall out if they're not expecting it.

> >        The lack of female input in Hawkwind, and to a lesser extent "space
> >rock" (or whatever you call it) is a very sad thing, as in the few
> >occasions that women have entered this arena, they have been a breath of
> >fresh air, as it were.

hmmmm... I can't agree that there is a lack of female input in Hawkwind...
especially if you compare them with 90% of the other progressve bands
around... and blow me if they didn't have a female fronting them at some
point (Bridget)

I actually prefer the male voice when it comes to rock singing.. it just
'goes' with the territory.

> Andy wrote:
>
> >It's unfair, IMO, to single Hawkwind out for sexism.  How many hard
> rock/heavy
> >metal bands  - except for "girl groups" - have ever had female members?

Exactly.

> Don't know who/what Stacia is/was, but it's generally been said that if you
> don't appreciate nudity or the like, you don't have to go to the shows.  For
> such people, both male and female, it's probably best to stay home and listen
> to the albums in peace.  Or, you learn to adapt.

Or we could send them to the bar to get the beers in.

> Anyway, joking aside, you might as well complain about the lack of Black
> members of Hawkwind ever.  Although they've had at least one gay member.

If they are going to get a black musician can I please recommend Gregg
White whom I had the privilege of seeing last night... that guy could
do everything with a guitar. He played a pokey little gig in Leicester
but is about to go on tour with B.B. King. He's also played with
Micahel Jackson, but we'll forgive that one eh?

> From:    Bryan Young <blyoung at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject: HW: Female Input / Questions
>
>     1)  How do you pronounce the name "Huw"?  I am from Canada and have
> never heard such a name spoken.  I assume it is alike to "Hugh".

Yep.

> From:    Carl Edlund Anderson <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
> Subject: Re: (from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

>     Well there's Jill, of course.  And presumably Maxine lurking somewhere?

<lurk mode off>

You rang m'lud?

<lurk mode on>

And now for some OBHawkwind gossip....

I was chatting to a guy at the gig last night who backed HW at a
concert/festival in germany. He said that last year at the festival
Hawkwinds tour bus managed to short circuit the whole affair by running
over the main power cable.... since it was dark all festivites were
conducted by cadlelight and without live music. Did anyone attend, Bernhard?

Toodle pip for now

Maxine

The night shall be filled with music
And the cares that infest the day