HW: Nekkid Wimmin and misc

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Mar 24 07:39:20 EST 1997

Re. Stacia

>From what I've read of the situation I understand that Stacia was very
proud of her body and to some extent her performance was simply a part
of the Earth Mother and "natural" environment - Seeing Things As They
Really Are - aspects of the 70s sort of effect - you have to have been
there....!   This *was* after all the period of Hair and other such
liberating stage performances!    It certainly took the audiences by
storm - and the reviewers too.

Someone told me a story once about going to see his first ever rock gig
which turned out to be Hawkwind's Space Ritual tour.   This was in
Dublin where there are strict conventions about exactly what stage
apparel you are supposed or not supposed to wear.    Anyhow Stacia
apparently hid out in the audience so that Hawkwind started the set
quite legit and then Stacia emerged from among the audience and joined
them on stage to the amazement of the crowd who had never seen anything
like this before - and given the light show, the music and everything
else of that period it must have been stunning!    Certainly the bloke
telling me the story was mesmerised by it - the only problem being that
he expected every rock band he went to see afterwards to be the same -
such disappointment!!

> BURNING QUESTION  (I would have called it a burning issue, but I wanted
> to avoid the Freudian slip.)
> -------> Max asked about the band Underground Zero.  I want to know,
> too!
> Who are they, when were they around, and what is their connection?  I
> have them on my _Best of FnR_ CD but it has no liner notes!
>
> When somebody enlightens us about Underground Zero, another band on the
> same compilation is Stravinsky's Shoe.  Who/what/when are they?

Underground Zero were two of the various bands that have become
associated in some way with the Hawkwind scene over the years.  In this
case they produced some tapes (Underground Zero may even have released
an album I'm not sure) and Brian Tawn (HawkFan) thought highly of
them and would regularly promote them in his publications.   I think
tracks from both bands can found on his HawkFan issue that came out as a
12" and a cassette tape but I don't think either band made more of a
commercial success than as Hawkwind related support.  I guess Salt Tank,
and Astralasia are bands in a similar situation that come most recently
to mind although both are commercial successes in their own right as
well.

> STUPID QUESTIONS:

not necessarily -

> Okay, I had to do this, but it's going to hurt me
> a lot more than it will hurt you...
>     1)  How do you pronounce the name "Huw"?  I am from Canada and have
> never heard such a name spoken.  I assume it is alike to "Hugh".
> (And why is it Huw Lloyd on the first CD's notes?  If he were female I
> would assume he got married and hyphenated his name instead of changing
> it completely.)

Huw is indeed pronounced the same as Hugh - it's the Welsh spelling of
the name.   I didn't realise he was originally listed as Huw Lloyd (even
more Welsh!).    But yes, I'm sure his wife's name was Marion Langton and
they must have decided to link the two names.    Nice.

>     2)  I know what it signifies, but what is the literal word-for-word
> phrasing associated with "ObCD"?

Ob: obligatory

> FYI, ObCD: Thin Lizzy/Vagabonds of the Western World
>
> Thanks for your time.  I won't sound like such a newbie next time.
> (Yeah, Right!)
>
> Bryan Young

's okay!   I can still remember having to ask what "Church of Hawkwind"
was   8-)))

Obfemalefan>  jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk