(from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Mar 24 05:29:36 EST 1997

In message <3333925A.32AA at student.uq.edu.au>, Max Wilcox
<s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU> writes

>        This is a good point, but also you must consider that as HW come from
>the UK, where (about) 51% of the population are female, whereas other
>ethnic groups make up substantially less of the population.
>        Anyway, I say again that I'm not really complaining about the band, and
>it's not as if I'm going to get angry and throw all my albums out the
>window or anything, but rather I'm just making an observation, and
>commenting on something that I think is unjust in our society.

When I was in Africa a few years ago, I got talking to a guy called Bob
who was in a local drum oriented band. There was about twelve of them. I
asked why there weren't any women in the band. He said they'd love to
have women in the band. In fact, women came up to him too and
(pointedly) asked why there wasn't any women in the band. He would say
they were welcome to join and they'd reply that they didn't want to join
themselves, they just wanted to see other women being able to, if *they*
wanted to. Bob pointed out that they were, it was up to them.

My wife runs a Magic : The Gathering (Fantasy Card Game) club at our
local pub. There are 30 members, all male and her. There's no reason
women shouldn't join or come along, but they just don't. Including all
her friends, who love the *idea*, come once and really enjoy it. But
they don't come back, for some reason.

If a shit-hot bassist turned up right now, I doubt very much if the band
would turn her down.
--
Jon Browne