OFF: obCD

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Mar 25 13:04:13 EST 1997

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Jon Browne wrote:

> >    2)  I know what it signifies, but what is the literal word-for-word
> >phrasing associated with "ObCD"?
>
> Ob-ligatory. You *gotta* hear this!

I never took it to be as strong as that (at least as it was originally
introduced to BOC-L; maybe it has mutated over the years).  I always
understood it to mean "this is what I'm listening to now/lately";
naturally, obCD usually carried somewhat of a gentle, implied
recommendation, but not normally so strident as "you *gotta* hear this!"

The thing that's always puzzled me is what Pops Shipley's "objCD"
signifies.  Does it mean "objectionable CD?"  If so, why does he
continually torture himself with such objectionable music? ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Sky Cries Mary, _Moonbathing on Sleeping Leaves_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.