OFF: obCD

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Mar 26 05:16:57 EST 1997

Paul Mather writes:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Ron Jennings wrote:
>
> > someone (JILL?) once posted on here that OB> came from usenet
> > originally, and generally was used for obligatory content when posting
> > off topic...
>
> "ob.." is indeed from UseNet.  obCD [obLP, obTape, ...] here on BOC-L was
> introduced quite some time ago by Steve Swann, as adapted from a grunge
> list he was subscribed to at the time.
>
> (So yes, once again, it's all Steve Swann's fault!:)

Damn - I was waiting for that moment and Paul got there first  *-))

obhistory> It was Steve's idea to try and prevent endless messages on
off-subject topics such as the Beatles or Michael Jackson (not that I
woud *ever* post on such trivial subjects....) when things were quiet
on the Hawkwind/BOC discussion front by asking folk to stick an ObCD
line at the end of their post if they really felt like recommending
something off topic.    Enya wasn't it for a while?

jill

obCD> Mahler Symphony No.1 (Titian)

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk