Savatage

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Wed Mar 26 20:32:39 EST 1997

BREVARD Adrian R. wrote:

> Streets released prior to Thorns?

>>From the liner notes of 'From The Gutter To The Stage, The Best Of Savatage 1981 -
1995'.
1979 - Jon and Chris Oliva form Avatar
1982 - first Avatar EP released
1983 - Avatar changed to Savatage; first full-length LP 'Sirens' released
1984 - 'Dungeons Are Calling' released
1985 - 'Power Of The Night' released
1986 - 'Fight For The Rock' released
1987 - 'Hall Of The Mountain King' recorded [and released I guess]
1989 - 'Gutter Ballet' released
1991 - 'Streets', a Rock Opera, released
1992 - Jon Oliva leaves to pursue solo projects but continues to write and play keys
1993 - Zak Stevens joins; 'Edge Of Thorns' released; Criss Oliva killed
1994 - Skolnick joins and plays guitar on 'Handful Of Rain' [is this an album?]
1995 - 'Dead Winter Dead' released

So I guess Streets is the last album with Jon singing.

> Well the couple I've traded notes with are big fans of Rain, Edge and
> DWD, most of the discussion centers on these and the TSO project Oliva
> and the band did for X-mas. We all seem to be into this bands most
> current work and none of us I dare say are infintely familiar with the
> early stuff.  If Zak isn't the vocalist on Streets and Gutter Ballet,
> that might explain their dislike.  Other than that I honestly couldn't
> say. If I may, are you familiar with any of those early works like
> FftR, HotMK, Sirens etc; are they more like Power Of Night?

Of course you may; no, I am not. Well, I heard them a couple of years ago and I didn't
like them too much. I am mainly a progressive rock fan, with a heavy touch maybe. That's
why I prefer Streets and Gutter Ballet. I like them better than DWD.

Jerry