OFF: Glenn Tipton, you really are jealous

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 27 06:15:35 EST 1997

> From:          dahl <dahl at AROS.NET>

> First of all, here's how you enjoy the new Queensryche CD, pretend it's not
> Queensryche.  I think it's kind of like eating something that you're used
> to tasting a certain way, and when the taste doesn't meet your
> expectations, you think it sucks, even if it does taste good.

Ah, that was going to be my next question, but you've anticipated it.
But ya didn't really say if you liked it or not.  Is it a concept
album?

> It seems that more people are curious about the NEW Glenn Tipton CD (yes,
> Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest).  It seems that some of the guitar greats out
> there are sick of dealing with whiny singers and have decided to take over

Well, I'm not going to go back over the 'whiny singer' road, but I
definitely hear ya!

> the vocal chores themselves.  This is exactly what Glenn has done.  I'm not
> sure what I expected when I bought this, but Glenn is not screwing around
> here.  This is serious heavy music, the kind that most "heavy metal" bands
> are afraid to make nowadays.  The singing is pretty damn wild.  He's not
> showing any incredible range here, but he gets an "A" for effort.  He kinda
> sounds like Cookie Monster after forgetting to take his Ritalin.  His voice
> also reminded me a bit of Paul DiAnno, then it really hit me.  He sounds
> like a pissed off Neal Schon!  The performances are very impressive.  This

GT was a singer before he joined JP.  In fact, I think he was the
lead singer in his previous band, as well as guitarist, of course.
He wrote most of the songs, then?

> disc has something for everyone.  Of course Glenn really tears it up on the
> guitar, but also featured are the killer bass sounds of Billy Sheehan,
> Robert Trujillo, and John Entwistle.  The drums are not for the wussy
> either and feature some thumping performances by Cozy Powell.

Wow!  Sounds great.  I used to see Billy in bar bands for years
before he hit it big.  He's from up the road in Buffalo, and his old
band, Talas, played all the joints from one end of NY to the other.
Even 20 years ago, you could tell he was going places...
Cozy's an animal.  Is he in a band nowadays, or just doing the hired
gun thing?

> http://members.aol.com/judpriest/index.htm
>
> Brad Dahl, still scared
>
> Oh yeah, "Club Ninja" is fantastic the first time you listen to it, and it
> just keeps getting better with every listen!

Are you related to Bolle, by any chance?

theo