HW: No news for some time

Ron Jennings sprawl at STARLINX.COM
Thu May 1 07:02:50 EDT 1997

> Okay, thanks.  I live in Canada, though, so I will never get
> the chance to see them live.

i don't know what part of canada you live in, but they have been known to
stop in a few canadian cities.
check sonique's page for links to tour lists.

>What do they have on CD so far?

well. there is the studio release prophets of time, which is pretty much
the 1994 line-up. a lot
of listmembers seem to dislike this one, but i like it a lot.
then, space ritual 94, with helios creed on guitar. very chaotic. i like it
as well.
then there's 'past or future', the best one IMO. its pretty much Warrior on
the Edge live.
its got a few calvert tunes on it, like lord of the hornets, and highrise.
i may have missed one or two. but they are all pretty good.

> Yeah, I think it would be fun.  I would like to see them, but I
> would choose Hawkwind if they were in competing venues.

me too.

> I love Ron's voice.  How does he do the really freaky things with
> his voice like that?  I have never heard anybody like that ever.
> At first when I got Alien 4 I was kind of skeptical, but then when
> I saw what Love in Space was like, I went back and really learned
> to appreciate Alien 4.

the high pitched stuff is done with electronics. bridgett used to do it as
well.

> Ron is one of my favorite HW vocalists now.  The only one I never
> really got to enjoy was Bridgett.  Her voice just didn't seem right
> to me.  (Black Elk Speaks is the best song with her, I think.)

i liked bridgett, but thought she really needed the magic of studio. live,
her voice sounds a bit flat to me.

> New Question: Is there any website that identifies the lead
> singer for each song?

there is one that lists the lineup for each track/album. not sure if it
identifies who's playing what, tho.
i don't remember the URL, but i got to it either via paul wards page, or
joly's what's up page.

> But what about Alan's songs?  And Harvey's?  And did Richard only
> do the Rolling Stones cover song?  Who does the Coded Languages song
> when it's done live on the Undisclosed Files CD?

alan's voice should be easy to recognize. no one else sounds like him. he
sings sputnik stan (with ron, now) damnation alley post calvert,
occasionally golden void, and lsd.
harvey never did much singing, mostly spoken word. gimme shelter is
richard's only vocal song,
and he told me he wasn't happy with it. not sure about coded languages on
UF. only listened to it once when i first got it. i don't even remember
what year its from. moorcock sang it on the live chronicles
tour. brock sang the original.

> Not having ever seen them live (except for my Black Sword video I
> found in a pawn shop in Edmonton), I don't know who sings what on
> some of the songs.

if you have  specific songs you want to know about, email me privately, and
i will look it up for you.
sprawl at starlinx.com

> Thanks!

welcome!