BOC: Bad Channels

Mon May 5 13:54:29 EDT 1997

Nick:

The lack of commentary on the Bad Channels tracks is due to the fact
that they've been discussed already.  Seeing that these tracks are now
around 5 years old, it's not surprising there is little discussion here
at this time on them.  But, for the record, I own the CD (it is, in fact,
one of the motivating forces for me about 3 years ago to finally decide
to get a CD player as it wasn't available on any other media - how's
THAT for a diehard BOC fan? :-) ), and think the tracks are pretty cool.
Like most folks here, the lyrics are nothing to write home about (which
is the general consensus of many of John Shirley's lyrics - witness
"See You in Black"), but the music is pretty cool.  I like the sound of
both tracks, and all of Buck's instrumentation for the movie score is
most interesting as well.

Regarding the Cult Brothers material -- there is a movement afoot on AOL
to pester Joe Bouchard into releasing the Cult Brothers stuff onto a
CD, probably available from Cellsum Records (Albert's record label for
the Brain Surgeons).  The band did record their original compositions,
so it may someday happen.  Brain Surgeons guitarist Billy Hilfiger, also
played for Cult Brothers, is very interested in seeing this happen.  I'd
post Joe's e-mail address, but don't know if he wants it publicized in
such a fashion.  Albert - could you ask him if that would be o.k.?
Perhaps that way some more of his fans could pester him about this release.

John