OFF: US vs. UK audiences

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed May 7 12:05:47 EDT 1997

Andy replies...

>>>Andy writ:  Don't think I could face it if it's seated.
>>
>>This struck me as classic.
>
>Ha!  If your feet hurt, get new shoes! :)  Last time I sat at a gig was when I
>could only get circle tickets for the Ramones - and it was fun, OK, but the
>MOSH FROM HELL was going on downstairs, and it would have been nice to have at
>least been on the fringes!  Yep, I'm hard me, I stand at gigs and I don't wear
>earplugs! :)

Dunno what circle tickets are, but in principle I'm on Andy's side.  I
prefer the small open clubs and theatres where you can go where you like and
choose to sit or stand;  I normally stand.  I often travel to shows solo, so
I'm on my own (although I sometimes see folks I know, some of whom are on
this list...Hi Chris R.), and like to move around from side to side, seeing
the show from different vantage points, as well as feeling more "mobile" and
into the music.  For big stage shows, though, like Floyd or Queensryche, I
don't mind sitting in one spot the whole time (as long as it's a good one),
as the stage is so large and elevated.  My main problem with these shows (at
least here), is the horrific cost of not just the tix, but then the parking,
Ticketbastard fees, and merchandise & refreshments (which I usually don't
bother with).

As far as moshing goes, I doesn't bother me as long as I'm not in the middle
of it.  I just try and keep away from the main action, and put it out of my
mind.  It seems completely pointless, but apparently that's what they want
to do.  I also never wear earplugs (I tried them once at a Marillion concert
when I had an ear infection, but I couldn't stand it and took them out
immediately.)  My left ear is a little sensitive (I've never heard my right
ear ring, because my left ear's ringing will always drown it out if it comes
to that), but only at Motorhead shows do I sometimes worry. :)
That's another reason why I like to move around during a show...I prefer to
stand on the stage left, so that my right ear is towards the stacks.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  My feet don't get sore, but sometimes my back does...I don't let that
bother me though.

Obtrack:  Dagobert Duck's 100th birthday-Guru Guru