Now OFF: Ozzfest etc.

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri May 9 10:27:28 EDT 1997

Daniel asks..

>Keith writes;
>>
>>On this same subject, but veering a bit off-topic...does anyone know what's
>>up with this "Ozz-fest" tour that's happening over here in the states.  The
>>ad says Ozzy Osbourne, and then Black Sabbath, followed by a load of garbage
>>that I couldn't care less about.
>
>What do you mean with garbage??? Haven't you ever heard Kyuss?
>Kyuss doesn't exist any-longer but their singer has this new band called
>Slo-Burn (and they are going to play Ozz-fest) and if they are half as good
>as Kyuss was then they will out-play even a reunited Sabbath with no problem
>at all... IMHO of course...

Well, I suppose that I mean that there's like 5 or 6 other bands listed,
none of which I've heard or seen (with the exception of Type O Negative,
which I had the misfortune of seeing as warmup for Queensryche '95).  And
since the only new 'loud' band (i.e., 'metal') since 1980 that I like *is*
Queensryche (Diamond Head before that), I am highly sceptical that any of
these others would interest me.  (I could be wrong though.)  The other
prog-metal (if you will) groups I've heard (Magellan, Dream Theatre, Boud
Deun) didn't impress me.  And I've never heard Kyuss before...my brother (a
fan of HW, BOC, QR, and many other cool groups) got a CD of theirs, and told
me he thought it was abysmal.  As our tastes seem to overlap so much, I
figured he was probably spot on, although there are exceptions to this rule.

Dunno much about Marilyn Manson, other than they try to be ugly mothers.  I
can't say for sure, but I'm guessing I would find them awful.  But then, I
really liked Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking (well, I guess then that
makes *two* loud groups I like since '80, but then I don't associate JA with
'metal' as much as 'alternative'), and Perry Farrell is equally ugly and scary.

I try to stay open-minded as much as possible...except when it comes to
voting groups like the Bee-Gees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.  They
were on Letterman last night, and I swear the one guy looked like film-maker
John Waters *after* being assimilated by the Borg.  And the other dude still
sings like he's been in the Heaven's Gate cult too long (read castration).

I can't believe they'd commit this felony, and *then* put some HW
memoribilia in an exhibit.  I'll believe when I see it.

Keith H. (FAA)

ObCD:  Moontan - Dead Flowers