HW: honestly!

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon May 12 19:33:05 EDT 1997

This will probably get me shot if I've got it wrong but if I put SORRY
loudly at the beginning and E&OE prominently here as well and ask for
anyone who finds errors to notify the list promptly then hopefully it
won't be too bad.

nohow - I've just done a trawl of the discography and these (I THINK)
are most of the releases the band issued themselves (or gave permission
for).   There may well be some I've missed and/or some I've got wrong
and if so I'm open to correction.

As far as compilations are concerned generally anything that has Brian
Tawn's intro or comments is official.   Otherwise I haven't got a clue
since many of the compilation albums listed were official only on their
first release.  Subsequent re-issues and takeovers, changes of labels
and sales of rights have made them rather less bona fide.    Apply to
the band for an update I think!

jill

1. Albums by Hawkwind (& Hawklords)
-----------------------------------
1970  Hawkwind  (Liberty/UA) (re-released as ltd. edn. pic disk 1984 and
        re-mastered CD)
1971  In Search Of Space   (UA) (orig. with foldout sleeve contained
             booklet: The Hawkwind Log. Spanish LP contains extra track -
             Silver Machine) (re-mastered CD)
1972  Doremi Fasol Latido (UA) (orig. contained Star Rats poster. The
        Japanese Version with gatefold cover and extra track: Silver Machine.
        (also remastered CD)
1972  Greasy Trucker's Party  (UA)
        Master of the Universe
        Born To Go
        * this version of Born to Go was edited down for
        * the German single
[not sure about this one!]

1991  The BBC Radio Disc CD  (Windsong)
1973  Space Ritual Alive  (Liberty/UA) (Live double album.  Contained open-out
                            sleeve) (also re-mastered CD)
1974  Hall Of The Mountain Grill (UA) (also re-mastered CD)
1975  Warrior On The Edge Of Time (UA/Liberty) (original with 'shield' sleeve)
        (also Griffin remastered CD as part of a package)
1976  Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music (Charisma) (CD also issued by
        Griffin as part of a package)
1976  Roadhawks  (UA) (studio material w/remixes by Brock)
            (Originally gatefold with poster. German re-release as part of
             Masterpiece series with different sleeve. UK re-release as part of
             Nice Price series.)
1977  Quark Strangeness And Charm (Charisma) (With sleeve insert. German
                version comes with colour negatives of Hawkwind in
                concert.)   CD
1978  PXR5 (Charisma) [original with wrongly-wired plug on cover]
          [Original came with Pete Frame's Family Tree poster]  CD
1978  Hawklords -  (Charisma) (Released under Hawklords name
           due to band split and legal/contractual reasons. Some copies have
           a picture inner sleeve. There is also a version in a slightly
           different outer sleeve.)  CD
1979  Hawkwind Live (Bronze) (British release as Live '79)  CD
1980  Levitation  (Bronze) (original release was on blue vinyl) CD
1981  Hawkwind at Glastonbury 1981
        *  Cassette Release by CND
[not sure about this one]

1981  Sonic Attack (RCA) CD
1982  Church of Hawkwind (RCA) [originally with booklet]
1994  Church of Hawkwind  (Griffin)  CD
1982  Choose Your Masques (RCA) CD
1982  Friends And Relations - Hawkwind (Flicknife)
1983  Friends And Relations II  (Flicknife) (Twice Upon A Time)
1985  Friends And Relations III
1988  Best of Hawkwind Friends & Relations CD  [Flicknife]
        [compilation from all 3 Friends & Relations LP's]
1983  Zones  (Flicknife) [also released as pic disk]
1984  Stonehenge (This Is Hawkwind/Do Not Panic) (Flicknife) (live) [LP & EP]
1985  The Chronicle Of The Black Sword (Flicknife)
1986  Live Chronicles (GWR) (live)
1994  Live Chronicles  (Griffin)   2CD
1986  Hawkfan 12" (Hawkfan)
          (Also released on cassette with "Countdown" replaced by
           "Hawkfan 12")
        * Produced by Brian Tawn of "Hawkfan"
[not strictly a band album but the proceeds went to Hawkwind stuff]

1986  Bristol Custom Bike Show  (GWR)
        * Only two HW tracks
        Master Of The Universe
        Silver Machine
[not sure about this one]

1986  Independent Days, Vol. I  10" (Flicknife)
1986  Independent Days, Vol. II (Flicknife)
1987  Out And Intake (Flicknife) (Picture inner sleeve)
1987  Hawkwind Box Set - The Official Picture Log Book (Flicknife)
        This contains picture discs (Covers) of
        * This is Hawkwind Do Not Panic
        * Chronicle of The Black Sword
        * Out & Intake
        plus a plain 12" disc containing an interview with Hawkwind
        also a biography booklet and button
1988  The Xenon Codex (GWR) (orig with stencil-cut foldout cover) CD
1988  Zones/Stonehenge CD  (Flicknife)
      [contains Zones album and some tracks from Stonehenge album]
1988   Traveller's Aid Trust (with various artists)  (Flicknife)
1990  Space Bandits  (GWR) CD
1991  Palace Springs  (GWR) (live) CD
1991  The Never Ending Story of The Psychedelic Warlords (CD with book)
1992  Live At Reading '86  CD (Raw Fruit)
1992  Electric Tepee [Double]  (GWR) CD
1992  The Hawklords Live  CD pic disc (Griffin)
1992  California Brainstorm CD
1993  Gimme Shelter [Rock CD 4 -track Charity compilation]
        Gimme Shelter [track by Hawkwind and Samantha Fox]
1993  Undisclosed Files  (live 1984 and 1989)
1993  It Is The business of the Future to be Dangerous
1993  Decide Your Future EP
1994  Quark Strangeness and Charm  CD single & 12" EP
                         (The Emergency Broadcast System)
1994  The Business Trip  2LP & CD (The Emergency Broadcast System)
1995  White Zone  (By The Psychedelic Warriors)
1995  Area S4 EP
1995  Alien4
1996  Love In Space   [2CD and double vinyl]
          *these tracks in a different order on vinyl.

Compilations

1986  The Approved History of Hawkwind  (Samurai Records)
        * Three record set, containing Hawkwind Anthology,
        * Vol. I, II, and III picture discs, along with an
        * 11,000 word history & discography booklet.
[AFIK - I think these were originally legit issues - leastways Brock was
involved in the composition of the Anthology and Brian Tawn did the
booklet so I'm fairly sure they were genuine once.   The reissues don't
appear to be though for various complicated reasons]

1988  Spirit of the Age CD (Virgin) [the Charisma years]
1990  Stasis - The U.A. Years 1971-1975  LP (EMI)
[I think this one]

1991  Hawkwind Anthology triple CD set [Castle Communications]
1992  (The Best of) Psychedelic Warlords CD  (Cleopatra) [ltd ed. with bag]
1992  Tales From Atom Henge CD (Virgin)  (Spirit of the Age re-issue +
                                          different tracks)
1994  25 Years On 4CD Set
1996  The Emergency Broadcast System Samples
The 8 Weird Tapes

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk