HW: honestly!

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed May 14 14:53:10 EDT 1997

Jill & Alan be sayin'

> >1973  Space Ritual Alive
>
> Is it "Alive" or "Live"?  I could swear my copy says "Live."

Could well be - the remastered CD is Space Ritual Alive - can't remember
offhand which is the favoured or original form of it now.

Well, taking my old UA vinyl outta storage, it reads,
(front cover) SPACE RITUAL      HAWKWIND
(spine) SPACE RITUAL, ALIVE IN LIVERPOOL AND LONDON (which is also
what the LP's label reads, 'cept it says "THE SPACE RITUAL, etc, etc.)
So, none of 'em are correct, perhaps????

> Also, isn't
> there
> a Space Ritual II?

To be an anorak about it, it is SPACE RITUAL VOL. II, according to my LP...

It's one of the unofficials - a set of tapes from one of the shows
that was issued (so far as I know) unedited and uncleaned.   It was
later reissued with another title.

> >1976  Roadhawks  (UA) (studio material w/remixes by Brock)
> >            (Originally gatefold with poster.
>
> I have this album!  I have this poster!

<<<<<smug>>>>  8-)

Me, too! But I still have the sticker that came with mine... <<<<smugger>>>>> :-)

> >1977  Quark Strangeness And Charm
>
> I saw this album once.  I seem to remember the sleeve containing some
> big apology letter, but it was hard to read and it was so long ago.  Anyone
> know anything about this?

It reads:

The Hawkwind Party

TO ALL SPACE *

THIS IS JUST A SMALL MESSAGE TO LET YOU KNOW WE ARE BACK ON COURSE.
LAST YEAR WAS THE WORST YEAR FOR US, FINDING US IN DEBT AND OUT OF TOUCH
WITH THE MODERN WORLD. WE HAVE HAD A FEW CHANGES THE SACKING OF NIK TURNER
PAUL RUDOLPH AND ALAN POWELL #### ### ############ AND THE ARRIVAL OF ADRIAN SHAW OUR
OLD FRIEND FROM "MAGIC MUSCLE". YOUR LETTER TO(do?) GET TO US THROUGH A DEVIOUS ROUTE
HAD TO BE FOUND WE DO APPRECIATE THEM AND THE IDEAS SO ONCE AGAIN WE'LL TRY AND GET
THE MOTORS RUNNING AND TAKE OFF.

SEE YOU SOON
HAWKWIND

This explanation is archived somewhere - I'm sure I remember it from a
while back.

> >1978  PXR5 (Charisma) [original with wrongly-wired plug on cover]
>
> OK.  I have this album, and I heard that the plug was wrongly wired on the
> cover, and then they changed covers and the plug was wired correctly.
> The letter where I read this info said the wrongly-wired version was rare
> and valuable.  So first, is that true?  And second, how can I tell if it is
> wrongly wired?  It looked OK to me...

Check the colours!     BANG.....   oops - got it wrong again.   The plug
was never wired correctly.   After the original issue of the album they
had to rush out a whole set of stickers to put over the plug picture
which read "DO NOT REMOVE THIS STICKER" to prevent idiots experimenting
with this alternative form of energy supply.   Of course everyone did -
(remove the sticker I mean)  but you can't without destroying the album
cover so a cover with the sticker intact is rare.   It was later reissued
with just a blank space where the plug pic. used to be.

Yeah, the big problem was that the ground (earth, green/yellow) wire was on one of the hot lugs.
Not a good thing to do. And I only pulled back a little corner of my sticker when I saw that it was
ripping up the cover...

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk