out&intake

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Tue May 20 02:59:16 EDT 1997

Hi all

I'm writing this in relation to the tracks on the Out & Intake
recordings. I've included the previous posts on this subject for
reference.

> >OUT & INTAKE CD
> >
> >- Turner Point         (live 1982)
> >- Waiting For Tomorrow (live 1982)
> >- Cajun Jinx           (studio)
> >- Solitary Mind Games  (live 1982)
> >- Starflight           (studio)
> >- Ejection             (studio)
> >- Hassan I Sahba       (live 1986)
> >- Flight To Maputo     (studio)
> >- Confrontation        (studio)
> >- 5/4                  (studio)
> >- Ghost Dance          (live 1982)
>
> [cd extras left out, because now I'm talking vinyl only]
>
> The Out and Intake vinyl has an inner sleeve with a quite good list on who
> appeared on which track. This list isn't available on either of the CD's I
> have (griffin and dojo) and it goes like this:  (Ejection is A6, Hassan is B1)
>
> Dave Brock:        voc, gtr, k'board, synth
> Harvey Bainbridge: voc, k'board, bass, perc
> Huw Lloyd-Langton: voc, lead gtr  on A2,4   + B1,3,4,5
> Alan Davey:        voc, bass      on A3,6   + B1,2,3
> Danny Thompson:    drums, balloon on A1,3,6 + B1,2,3
> Martin Griffin:    drums          on A1,2,4 + B4,5
> Nik Turner:        sax            on A1,2
> Paul Cobbold:      organ          on A2
>
> I decode the above information as Brock and Bainbridge appears on every
> track on the record, and engineer/producer Cobbold has added himself on the
> track "Waiting for Tomorrow". The other musicians will appear as follows:
>
> - Turner Point         (live 1982)     GR    TH TU
> - Waiting For Tomorrow (live 1982)  LL GR       TU
> - Cajun Jinx           (studio)           DA TH
> - Solitary Mind Games  (live 1982)  LL GR
> - Starflight           (studio)
> - Ejection             (studio)           DA TH
>
> - Hassan I Sahba       (live 1986)  LL    DA TH
> - Flight To Maputo     (studio)           DA TH
> - Confrontation        (studio)     LL    DA TH
> - 5/4                  (studio)     LL GR
> - Ghost Dance          (live 1982)  LL GR
>
> There is a slight pattern here, Griffin and Lloyd-Langton plays together, so
> are Davey and Thompson. Griffin left at the end of '82 and both Thompson and
> Davey entered the ship at Stonehenge Festival '84.
>
> 1)
> If the track "Turner Point" is live, the inner sleeve list must be wrong, as
> it claims both Griffin and Thompson played drums and/or balloon. On the
> other hand, if the inner sleeve is correct - "Turner Point" must be studio.
> I don't know anything about Griffin's studio career in Hawkwind post 1982,
> nor is my profession Hawkwind Live Tapes - so I can't say anything here.
>
> 2)
> I assumed if WfT, SMG and GD was live tracks, it was likely the fourth
> Griffin/Lloyd-Langton track should be live too (of course taken from the
> same night, same venue). So if I was wrong, from when and where does "The
> Scan-5/4" studio outtake originate? Is it _Choose Your Masques_ era?
> (live 1982 would have fitted well, but on the other hand Hawkwind has not
> exactly been a structured puzzle through the years)

My own assumptions on these tracks contradict what has already been
written. Due mostly to the perfection of many of these recordings, I
believe Waiting For Tomorrow, Solitary Mind Games, & Confrontation, to
be the only live recordings here (apart from the extra tracks on the
CD).
In the case of Confrontation, it (to me) sounds very much like the
middle of another track they perform live (I think it was one from Black
Sword). This track may be partly studio (the voice-over), however, the
rest of it doesn't seem polished enough for a studio recording.

On the subject of live & studio tracks, is Dangerous Visions (Zones)
live?

And on another slightly off-track subject, does anyone have a copy of
the full version of Phone Home, Elliott? I had it on tape but have
misplaced it.

William