OFF: "gotten"?

Wed May 21 00:14:53 EDT 1997

On tis 20 maj 1997 19.19 Jerry <stayer at PI.NET> wrote:
> Ron Jennings wrote:
> > i believe "its got" should be used when you mean to say "it has"
> > (possession.)
> > "it's gotten" should be used when you say "it has recieved."  or "it
> > has gotten to the point where..."
> > failing that, maybe it shouldn't be used at all.
>
> I am pretty sure "gotten" is not a valid word in English as spoken in
> the UK.

    I think even in the UK one can say sentances like "We have gotten
completely pissed every day this week".  ;)   Or, on a more sober note ;)
"We've not gotten paid for the work I did."

    Obviously, there are other forms and verbs that could be used there
("We've not _been_ paid ..." etc.) but I think the above examples are
reasonably valid.

    Mind you, my mother tongue is American English--not British English--so
I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Carl