OFF: Hash Jar Tempo?

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed May 21 00:50:06 EDT 1997

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Ian R Fines wrote:

> While visiting NYC last weekend, I happened to see a copy of a CD by
> "Hash Jar Tempo", which the cover said included Roy Montgomery and Bardo
> Pond.  Has anyone heard this?

You must've missed this creep into my obCD line a fortnight or so ago. :-)

I have _Well Oiled_ by Hash Jar Tempo (a play on Ash Ra Tempel, perhaps?).
It's ~78 minutes of psyche stoned/trance/drone rock, all instrumental.  I
like it---more so than the Hovercraft CD I bought at the same time which,
although filed in the psyche rock section, sounds a tad "industrial" to my
ears (and not nearly as well-done as Hash Jar Tempo's offerings, though
ostensibly aiming for the same goal).

The tracks are basically repetitive riffs and motifs that ebb and flow and
build to great effect.  Some are better than others: I get the impression
that these were all recorded in a one-day session, as a live jam in the
studio.  As with all drone, there's no real soloing to speak of, so those
looking for incisive psyche guitar wailing will be left disappointed.
But, like I said, I like it.  I haven't heard any Roy Montgomery, so I
can't vouch for how much this sounds like his regular stuff.  I do have
some Bardo Pond, though, and their influence is pretty obvious on this CD.

Btw, Roy Montgomery plays with Magic Hour, doesn't he?  Does anyone have a
CD recommendation for them?  I liked their track on the _Succour_
compilation; something in a similar vein would hit the spot very nicely,
thank you.

>  Also, I saw the new Pressurehed digipak
> "Explaining the Unexplained"....looks pretty cool.  Again, has anyone
> heard this?  any comments appreciated.

There were several posts about this a while back.  Maybe you could search
through the BOC-L online archives?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Faust, _IV_