Sonic Attack First played ?

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Fri May 23 18:45:14 EDT 1997

Andy C writes:

> Thanks Bernard,
> BUT
> I'm really interested in finding an exact date, I'm trying to track
> down MM's inspiration for the song.  I'd thouht I'd tracked it
> to press reports in September 1972 but thats looking to late now.
>
> Andy C

In that case you might have to go quite far back.   My recollection
(and it may come from the "Do Not Panic" book) is that Moorcock would
join up with Hawkwind in the pre-Hawkwind period while they were still
playing under the flyover at Ladbroke Grove and recite poetry with them
and that one of the things already written was Sonic Attack.   It's
genesis I'm sure was the Cold War period in the 60s when most people
genuinely expected to be wiped out in a nuclear holocaust at almost
any minute.    There were Government instructions issued explaining what
you were to do in the case of a Nuclear Attack such as put paper on the
windows to reflect the blast and hide under the kitchen table with a
couple of mattresses for protection and not come out until the Radiation
All Clear sounded.   Can't remember the date of this lot but I think
there was a black and white Govt. Public Information film made about
it all as well.   It was an extremely bizarre period!

When was the promo single issued?  1971?

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk