Sonic Attack First played ?

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Fri May 23 19:30:46 EDT 1997

William Duffy writes:

> > there was a black and white Govt. Public Information film made about
> > it all as well.   It was an extremely bizarre period!
> >
> The film you may be referring to could be the Peter Watkins classic The
> War Game, which was made I think in 1967 for the BBC, but was banned and
> not shown by them until about 20 years later, around the time of some
> BBC anniversary.
>
> William

Yeah - I remember this was shown recently but I'm sure there was a
genuine instruction film along the lines of "What You Do When the Air
Raid Warnings Sound".   Maybe it's a US version I remember seeing but
there were things like "Remember You Only Have Three Minutes After
Hearing The Siren" and "Remember To Take Plenty Of Fresh Water Into
The Shelter With You" and "When The Radiation Levels Have Dropped
Sufficiently You Can Come Outside - The All Clear Will Sound Like This".

It could be that I'm confusing several different things by now - there
have been too many different satirists writing on the subject but Sonic
Attack and Peter Porter's poem must have been among the first - oh and
Calvert's 10 seconds of Forever of course.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk