OFF: H.P.Lovecraft (the band)

Tony A. Rowe HawkLord at AOL.COM
Tue May 27 20:11:26 EDT 1997

Hi there, everybody.  I just joined this group for discussing Hawkwind and
Nik Turner, but I'm now making my first post by talking about H.P. Lovecraft.

I have two albums by this band.  The earlier album is self-titled, and was
put out by Philips and Dunwich Productions, Inc.  The back of the album
includes a brief biography of the REAL H.P. Lovecraft, and gives thanks to
the Lovecraft estate, August Derleth, and Arkham House Publishing for use of
the group's title and for the titles of some of the songs.  I can find no
date on the album.

There are a few decent songs on the album that space-rockers like us would
enjoy.  "The White Ship" and "The Time Machine" aren't exactly "Brainstorm"
or "Spirit of the Age" but they are worth a listen.

The other album I have was from 1975 and is titled "We Love You Whoever You
Are."  The band had changed its name to just Lovecraft, and the picture of
the band on the back just screams out DISCO.  This album is still
shrink-wrapped, so I have no idea what the music is like on it.  Song titles
like "I Feel Better" and "Your Smile" don't sound very promising to me.

I remember that there was a brief mention of the band in the novel "The Eye
in the Pyramid", the first book in the Illuminatus! trilogy.  I do remember
the book specifying that it was the band, not the horror fiction author.

So why did I actually spend good money on these albums?  I am a very big H.P.
Lovecraft fan (the author, not the band).  These bizarre little treasures
were too good to pass up, and I picked them up in two different years at a
convention in San Diego (from an even bigger H.P. Lovecraft fan than I am).

That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject, can anyone else chime in
with more?