OFF: Bootlegging

Wed May 28 08:50:56 EDT 1997

Also, many early bootlegs (not all, perhaps not even a large percentage)
were not only live concerts, but also unused studio tracks (at least in
the case of the Beatles).  As pointed out, the sound board was often
the source of these recordings - all it takes is a recording to get into
the right hands, and a potential bootleg is born.

For a great perspective on the whole bootleg industry, there's a great
book available called "Bootleg:  The Other Record Instustry" (or something
very similar) - the author's name escapes me, although I have the book and
it made for very interesting reading.

John