HW: Live and Kicking

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Nov 3 10:09:19 EST 1997

langner timothy writes:

> Go to every concert on a tour (I'm about to go to my first 2) and see how many
> nigths sound exactly the same! Well from tapes I've got from various concerts,
> in various years, 0. I have jet to find 2 concerts from eon tour which sound
> the same.
>
> But if you can afford to do that then just stick on "Shouldn't Do That" from
> ISOS. That is one great track with a great track length to compliment it.
> Perpahs thats way I like it. But the guitars have a stnadrd riff which changes
> sometimes and then just lots and lots and lots of sax on top. It's just ahsame
> they can't do the song now!

They have done a live version Shouldn't Do That actually, a couple of
years back I think - and it was a very fine rendition!     But a word of
warning as always with Hawkwind - do not go with any preconceived ideas
of what you expect them to sound like - this will Inevitably Disappoint.
Hawkwind (Brock) is someone who, deliberately or not so, sets out to
confound expectations.   The sound they are playing now is probably
closest to the 70s Warrior stuff although there are distinct feelings
of Calvert and PXR5 lurking around and Reptoid Vision sounds more like
a heavy guitar version of Flying Doctor every time I hear it!

I should leave the reviews of the two latest gigs at Shepherd's Bush
(good to meet up with everyone again!) and Guildford to those wot can
do this better than me but as a brief comment just to say that the band
have got better every time I've heard them and these two shows were both
excellent.   The sound mix has all the guitars and even some keyboards
in it now - the link from Brainstorm into the bit in the middle has
been smoothed out and flows better - Sonic Attack introduces itself more
clearly and even Rizz is blending in at times.  I wonder if part of the
problem here is that the reggae that Hawkwind play doesn't have the same
timing as the reggae that Rizz performs so that the band and Rizz appear
to be performing as completely separated events.   However I definitely
felt that the music was beginning to echo his vocals (or he is echoing
the music - hanged if I know!).

In fact the whole band seem to be getting on really well together and
despite the smallish audience at Guildford (nice venue tho' and I
really enjoyed the fact that I could see the stage this time!!) they
seemed to really enjoy themselves during the set.   No special guests
however - unless you include the founder member and frontman of
Spacehead who performed the intro to Ejection and was helping out with
guitar.   With him on stage as well that made Hawkwind a six-member
band which has to be the largest line-up they've had for a long while!

Oh - and I guess I must include the cardboard cutout of a Spice Girl
placed prominently stage left and (I'm told) a TeleTubby out front -
all part of the experience!

jill

obFreeGiftFromLondon> sore throat and a cold 8-(

obRecordCollectorsDreamComeTrue> finding Al Stewart's "Bedsitter Images"
for just 7.00 pounds  8-)))))

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk