Off: Veruca Salt/ Welcome Back Alex

Mon Nov 3 11:47:05 EST 1997

>Thanks gents but I'm still not sure what they sound like (Veruca Salt)

Well, they sound NOTHING like BOC/tBS/Hawkwind, nor Y&T or Savatage...

Some of their stuff is heavy and grungy, although their new album is a
bit more pop-oriented -- still, I like the guitar sound they get, although
the band's guitar-playing is nothing spectacular (gotta love those Gibson
SG's though).  Their breakthrough hit off their first album in '94 was
"Seether" - perhaps you've heard it ("Can't fight the Seether..."), and
their big single off the new album is "Volcano Girls" ("Leave me - lyin'
here - cuz I don't wann go...").  I've been told they were heavily influenced
by the Pixies, but since I'm not familiar with them, I can't comment
further.

My suspicion is that most BOC fans will not get particularly excited about
Veruca Salt, although if you like a heavy guitar sound, this might appeal
to you.  Oh yeah, I kind of think of Veruca Salt as being sort of a grungy
version of the Go-Go's or the Bangles.  Lately, I'm listening more and
more to female singers than male singers it seems.

John