OFF: Savatage

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Tue Nov 4 10:19:17 EST 1997

Alex S. Garcia wrote:
> *smile* Personally, I'd never even heard of the band until my then
> girlfriend made me listen to some tracks off "Edge of thorns"... I then
> listened to another album she had, "Handful of rain", and I found that one
> really really awesome. Especially that one track, "Chance", which has by now
> become one of my all-time favorite songs... but you gotta like progressive
> to enjoy this one, and the whole album for that matter.

Hm, I don't think they're that progressive (although I /am/ a progrock fan). Very melodic, correct;
even orchestral. Fuck it, forget the labels.

> >>Anyway, I've heard/read some great things about them lately and I'd like
> >>to find out more. Which Savatage album should I check out first?AG:
> >Either "Hall of the Mountain King" or "Dead Winter Dead" would be good first trys..

I would say "Gutter Ballet", "Streets" (Jon Oliva singing) and "Dead Winter Dead" and "The Wake Of
Magellan" (latest two (concept) albums, with Zak Stevens on vocals).

AG:
> Haven't tried those two yet, but they are in my "to-buy" list... I, of
> course, would recommend the two I've heard - "Handful of rain" being the
> better choice for prog fans and "Edge of thorns", perhaps, for those less
> thrilled by the genre...

I am going to see them play live in Amsterdam next Thursday. Has someone seen them on their current
tour? Are they going to play Wake Of Magellan complete? (Need to know when to put the next side of the
tape on...)

Jerry