HW: Rhyl

Alun Hughes a.hughes at NEWI.AC.UK
Thu Nov 6 06:19:54 EST 1997

Made my way up to the coast on Monday night to see HW at Rhyl. Audience
of maybe 400 at the Pavilion, respectably full. This is an all-seat venue
more suited to panto, but it was OK in a laid-back sort of way. Sound
was on the quiet side but a decent mix, with Crum's keyboards suitably
well-back.

This was the first time I'd seen the Jerry/Ron lineup and it seemed to work
well. No particular surprises in the setlist. Decent enough versions of
most of the songs with perhaps the best of the night being "Blue Skin"
(oddly enough). Brock seemed to be enjoying himself (always a good sign)
though he didn't come that far out from the shelter of his cocoon ... so,
generally a serviceable performance, reasonable set, decent audience, no
more than the usual HW ratio of self-indulgence to rocking out ... so, OK
then?

Er ... not OK. This was the first time I had the misfortune to see the
infamous Captain Rizz. Fuck me, what a tosser. What an embarrassment. What
a liability.

I've been following HW for twenty years. I'm insulted. He might appeal to the
casual pissheads in the audience but they won't be there next year; nor will
I unless that asshole is out. I suppose the only consolation is that on
normal HW turnover rates, he will be.

Alun