HW: Jerry Richards

Bernhard Pospiech bernhard.pospiech at GELSENKIRCHEN.NETSURF.DE
Thu Nov 6 12:52:09 EST 1997

Hello Ola

>I just remembered something I must have read in a HWFB newsletter or
>perhaps in some issue of HF: A few years back HW did a tour (in Europe, I
>think) without Dave Brock (he was knackered or something). Yes, I know,
>it sounds unbelievable, HW without Commander Brock! They were a
>three-piece and some dude replaced Dave on guitar (and vocals?).

The guy's name who replaced DAVE BROCK on the European Tour from 12.03.1991
- 10.04.1991 is STEVE BEMAND.

He is an old friend from RICHARD CHADWICK. Played with him in a band called
SMART PILS

STEVE played on this tour guitar and was singing only OUT OF THE SHADOWS.
His guitar playing wasn't as good as DAVE BROCKS playing but he did a good
job especially on BACK IN THE BOX (he played the USA anthem)

I've seen HAWKWIND on this tour 4 times and I enjoyed every gig very close
to the stage.
The best gig on this tour was the longest gig HAWKWIND have ever played. It
was the 140 minutes gig in ATHEN (Greece) with a couple of outstanding
mega-long songs!!!!!!

>Was this guitarist by any chance Jerry Richards?
No. JERRY RICHARDS played with HAWKWIND (HAWKDOG) for the 1st time in
autumn 1988.

His very 1st HAWKWIND gig was the ISLE OF MAN FESTIVAL on 07.06.1995

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A TAPE FROM THIS GIG. Anybody out there who's got it???

>Can the man sing?
Not very good

>(How could anyone replace Dave on a song like the Golden Void?
Alan and Bridgett were singing GOLDEN VOID

cheers
Bernhard