HW: Jerry Richards, Alan Davey, Lemm

christian cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Fri Nov 7 18:22:34 EST 1997

At 19:38 07/11/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Bernhard (>) wrote:
>>Hello Ola
>
>>>I just remembered something I must have read in a HWFB newsletter or
>>>perhaps in some issue of HF: A few years back HW did a tour (in Europe,
>>>think) without Dave Brock (he was knackered or something). Yes, I know,
>>>it sounds unbelievable, HW without Commander Brock! They were a
>>>three-piece and some dude replaced Dave on guitar (and vocals?).
>
>>The guy's name who replaced DAVE BROCK on the European Tour from
>12.03.1991
>>- 10.04.1991 is STEVE BEMAND.
>>He is an old friend from RICHARD CHADWICK. Played with him in a band
>called
>>SMART PILS
>>STEVE played on this tour guitar and was singing only OUT OF THE
>SHADOWS.
>>His guitar playing wasn't as good as DAVE BROCKS playing but he did a
>good
>>job especially on BACK IN THE BOX (he played the USA anthem)
>
>I'm impressed! There's a lot of knowledge out there in Hawkverse, that's
>for sure! And my friends think I'm crazy about dates and details...
>Thanks, I'd totally forgotten the guy's name. What do you mean by the
>"USA anthem"? Was _Back in the Box_ a USA anthem or what...?
>
>>I've seen HAWKWIND on this tour 4 times and I enjoyed every gig very
>close
>>to the stage.
>>The best gig on this tour was the longest gig HAWKWIND have ever played.
>It
>>was the 140 minutes gig in ATHEN (Greece) with a couple of outstanding
>>mega-long songs!!!!!!
>
>Is Hawkwind without the last founding member really Hawkwind? I can
>imagine that the shows were good even without Dave, but isn't it a bit
>like Motorhead without Lemmy?
>
>>>Was this guitarist by any chance Jerry Richards?
>
>>No. JERRY RICHARDS played with HAWKWIND (HAWKDOG) for the 1st time in
>>autumn 1988.
>
>Once again, hats off!
>
>>His very 1st HAWKWIND gig was the ISLE OF MAN FESTIVAL on 07.06.1995
>
>You said it.
>
>>I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A TAPE FROM THIS GIG. Anybody out there who's got
>it???
>
>Not me, I don't have a lot of HW live tapes. Any good suggestions? Are
>the WEIRD tapes worth getting? I know some of it is available on record.
>
>>>Can the man sing?
>
>>Not very good
>
>>>(How could anyone replace Dave on a song like the Golden Void?
>
>>Alan and Bridgett were singing GOLDEN VOID
>
>Yes, I know (Bridgett on the Live Legends video, for example). I must say
>that Alan never has been and probably never will be a good singer.

Hmm, I quite disagree. Alan's voice has a great punk edge, for instance his
Hassan I Sahba/Damnation Alley etc. (much of the California Brainstorm
actually as well) are IMO great stuff. Gave the power trio line up a cool
edge.

>Don't get me wrong here, I think Alan was probably the best thing that
>ever happened to the Hawks after Lemmy's departure. In fact, he was the
>perfect replacement for Lemmy, and at the same time an injection of fresh
>blood into Spaceship Hawkwind. Face it, the 1981-1983 stuff was below
>par. Alan brought the drive back into Hawkwind.

Well, I thought Bainbridge played a cool bass (no matter what Ginger Baker
might have had to say about it!!!!). Not to mention the Levitation, Sonic
Attack and Choose Your Masques had some great driving tracks.

>*Lemmy* once said (during an interview I did in 1989, in fact) that
>replacing him with *Paul Rudolph* was like replacing Bob Seger with Luke
>Goss (from Bros, yuk!). A bit exaggerated, perhaps, but very
>illustrating...

Ah well, something different. That's what I liked about the late 70's
Calvert-era (Quark/PXR5/Hawklords, not as much Astounding which was sort of
transitory) was the sudden forward shift to a sort of "cybernetic" sound
and a cool, streamlined New Wave-ness. I liked Rudolph/Shaw's bass -
different,
yeah, but that's the way to do it, move on instead of trying to recapture
"the old days" etc. Sure Davey is/was a great bassist, and indeed he's quite
influenced by Lemmy.

Speaking of, I can't help but feel Lemmy's bass sound owes something to
Dave Anderson. Just Master Of The Universe on XISOS sounds like Lemmy.
Also Anderson's bass on Calvert's Test Tube Conceived album (like the opening
track) also have that heavy, yet rhythmic lumbering sound.

>We all know that Alan sang all the Calvert tunes. My opinion is that it
>was nice to hear some Calvert stuff again, but Alan didn't really do them
>any justice. HOWEVER, Ron definitely does!

I really don't like Ron's vocals so much... I though quite the opposite.
Of course Ron is a great showman, but IMO not much else (his lyrics are
godawful!!!).

>I have often thought of the fact that the following past or present
>HawkCrew members have similar looks/styles:
>
>Alan Davey - Lemmy (playing style)
>Simon King - Richard Chadwick (playing style and looks)
Dunno why I feel Chadwick's drumming sounds so canned. He's got more range
than Danny "look ma, no hand!" Thompson. Yeah Chadwick does kinda look like
King though.

>Bob Calvert - Ron Tree (vocal style)
A very pale imitation!

>Do any HawkFreaks out there agree with me?
>And judging by some messages on this list, Jerry Richards playing style
>is close to Dave's! Is there any truth in that?

He seems much heavier/modern as far as style goes but I couldn't say.
Not so spacey but but really jammin.
So far I like what I heard of the Strange Daze vid alot, at least the new
tunes. Tree's bass sounds like, um, well, I might be able to do (even though
I never played any instruments!!!)

Still, Ron puts on a good zany act. Quite an "energetic" fellow  %^)~

Christian