HW : NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Sat Nov 8 02:08:02 EST 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: christian <cannibal at CUTEY.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Date: Saturday, 8 November 1997 09:40
Subject: Re: HW : NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!

>Electric Tepee is an AWESOME album. Rates in my all time top 3 of any
record.

            I agree wholeheartedly....

>Don't know why it's not talked about much, I think it's pretty underrated.
>Dave's ecstatic and heavy guitar noodling, Davey's much more
prominent/heavy
>bass and the out of this world synth textures... I always thought
Chadwick's
>drums were a little flat/canned sounding in a way.

            I can't remember Chadwick's drumming on this album, but while on
the subject of his drumming, I'd say that his drumming on the RealAudio
Manchester gig is darn fantastic, perhaps some of the best drumming I've
heard in HW for ages...

> But just the driving/
>psychey/spacey-ness of the music on ET.... Of latter day albums only Xenon
>Codex comes near, but it has a few throwaways in comparison.

            For some reason, I find Xenon perhaps my least favorite HW
album - it's the one that I never listen to at all, though every now and
then I see it and go "wow - I haven't listened to that for ages" and when I
listen to it I think "oh yes, I remember why now...".

>I thought Biz Trip was great, but not IITFTBD, which I still think is crap.

            I guess I must be one of the few lifeforms that realy like
IITBOTFTBD. I my opinion, it is the highest point of their "synth period",
which started at about Xenon and has gone to more or less Alien4.

>Alien 4 and LiS i find so lame at times even if I occasionally try to
listen
>to them (why am I the only one who likes Beam Me Up huh?). Well, ok, Alien
4
>is okay but why they even bothered doing Love In Space is beyond me....

            I think it was the concept of Alien4 that saved it for me - if
it were a collection of unrelated songs dealing with different things in
each, I'd probably not have liked it that much. I guess I'm just one of
those people who has a thing for concept albums...

Max Wilcox