HW : Too long albums (was NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!)

Kenneth Magnusson bishop.garden at FALKOPING.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Sat Nov 8 17:05:04 EST 1997

>At 19:58 07/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>> However, its definitely streets ahead of A4 and
>>IITBOTFTBD (bastard of an acronym!) but might have trouble beating
>>Electic Tepee - which no one seems to talk about - is ET not rated by
>>you lot?
>>
>>Mark
>

>Electric Tepee is an AWESOME album. Rates in my all time top 3 of any record.
>Don't know why it's not talked about much, I think it's pretty underrated.
>Dave's ecstatic and heavy guitar noodling, Davey's much more prominent/heavy
>bass and the out of this world synth textures... I always thought Chadwick's
>drums were a little flat/canned sounding in a way. But just the driving/
>psychey/spacey-ness of the music on ET.... Of latter day albums only Xenon
>Codex comes near, but it has a few throwaways in comparison.
>
>I thought Biz Trip was great, but not IITFTBD, which I still think is crap.
>Alien 4 and LiS i find so lame at times even if I occasionally try to listen
>to them (why am I the only one who likes Beam Me Up huh?). Well, ok, Alien 4
>is okay but why they even bothered doing Love In Space is beyond me....

The problem with albums like Electric Tepe, It Is The Business... and Alien
4 is that they are too long, there are plenty of songs that could be
'classics' but they fall together with all the crap that comes with them on
these albums. There are more albums suffering from the same disease, Rush -
Counterparts and Test For Echo, David Bowie - outside, Yes - Union etc etc.

I'm not a vinyl-nostalgic but the time-limits within that format were
definitly healthy, really, how many double-albums are there that does us
anything good ?

Lamb Lies Down...yepp,
Ummagumma and Topographic Oceans - maybe,
Works and The Wall...where's the dustbin ?

Live albums should, of course, be as long as needed.

So what we need is albums where the artists has to pick the best, say,
seven songs out of, say, fourteen, instead of getting the full output since
the last album, anyone agree ?

Kenneth

Bishop Garden Records
Box 747
521 22 Falkoping
SWEDEN
Tel +46 (0)515 823 08
bishop.garden at falkoping.mail.telia.com

The Moor
http://www3.tripnet.se/~hmm/moor/

This message was transmitted from a MicroSoft-free device.