OFF: Spiritualized

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 10 05:23:00 EST 1997

In article <971108183355_-1460026418 at mrin85.mail.aol.com>, Bill Stewart
<Stewartbas at AOL.COM> writes
>Just saw an advert for a Spiritualized show in NYC for Dec.
>Ive heard alot off good things but never heard them, or their music
>described.
>What's the deal?
>
>regards,
>Bill Stewart

If HW are acid space rock, Spiritualized are prescription tranx space
rock. I happen to think they are absolutley the bollocks and saw them at
the Royal Albert Hall last month. They were fantastic. I had to decide
between seeing them again and going to the Hawks last week. Luckily, I
was so feverish and ill, I couldn't go anywhere. (Phew!)

They rock out in places, float off in others.

They are fronted by Jason Spaceman (nee Pierce) formerly of Spacemen 3
He's been performing for about 12 years now, and is no amatuer. They are
starting to be described in the UK Music Press as The Greatest Avant
Gard Rock Act Ever. If you're expecting spacerock as it is performed by
ArcMet, Melting Euphoria or other Cleopatra acts, you might be
dissappointed. They are people on this list who like them but see no
real similarity to HW. I could not describe Spiritualized as anything
but spacerock, though, and definatly recommemend them as one of
England's Finest. (esp if they have the full gospel choir backing, which
they often do!)

Check out albums :

Pure Phase
Lazer Guided Melodies
ladies And Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space  ]

Oddly enough, the last time they were in the US, they opened for Neil
Young And Crazy Horse. Some of the boots off that tour are unreal!
--
Jon Browne