HW: nova drive

Ken Alexander kalex at EECS.UMICH.EDU
Mon Nov 10 11:08:48 EST 1997

I'm not sure why he singled me out for this.

========== forwarded message:

From: "Kevin Sommers" <novadrive at pangeatech.com>
To: <kalex at umich.edu>
Subject: "Nova Drive"  stuff details
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 04:35:18 -0700

Hello HAWKWIND World--------------
[some rambling deleted]
    Here's the whole story, the best there is anyway, of the "Nova =
Drive" CD-Rs.
    The first was Nova Drive.  I had this crazy idea to share some of =
the fantastic HawkMusic that I had that other collectors might like to =
have with some artwork (I like to try to be artistic from time to time) =
that might make look like a legitimate CD, including a fake "catalog =
number" and "label" (Discontent).
    Tracks were:
        "Born To Go" - Ramsgate, Marina Park 5/28/84 (with Robert =
Calvert)
        "Spirit Of The Age" - Cologne, Germany, Live Music Hall 11/13/94
        "Nova Drive" - Doncaster, Rotters 11/10/80.  An instrumental =
which I made-up
            a name for, from the lyrics to "PXR5"
        "Aliens" - Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95.  This, is of course, =
mistitled.
        "Silver Machine" - Springfield, Virginia 4/8/95
        "Sputnik Stan" - Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95
        "Terra Mystica" - from The Business Trip vinyl.  This of course =
shouldn't have
            ever been put on this, crossing the line from bootleg to =
pirate.
        "Wastelands Of Sleep" - London, Hammersmith Odeon 4/21/88.  I =
absolutely
            love Dave's vocals in this.
        "(Only) The Dead Dreams Of The Cold War Kid" - Oxford, Apollo =
Theater
            10/6/78
        "Damage Of Life" - Woolwich, Coronet 6/3/89
        "Paranoia" - Birmingham, Odeon 11/8/86
        "Magnu" - San Francisco, The Stone 10/7/89
        untitled and unlisted song (I called it "DoReMi FaSol LaTiDo"), =
excerpt from
            "LSD" Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95
=20
    The cover of this, as well as all of my CD-Rs, was made using =
various color copiers, leading to slight variations in tint and/or hue.  =
This was "released" in July '95.  I had some clear stickers made to put =
onto the CD-R, with the following pseudo-poem on it:
    "Psychedelic Warlords Are In Search Of Space Bandits And Star =
Cannibals Who Lurk Inside Your Brain And Hide Inside Your Mind;
    The Watcher Is Standing At The Edge Of Void City, Where Wizened =
Sages Sat, Ancient Masters Of The Rites Of The Netherworld."
   =20
Next was Timeless Paeans From The Ongoing Rituals Of Space.  The idea =
was to have new (80's & 90's) versions of Space Ritual-era songs.I =
dropped the fake catalog number, but included "A Nova Drive Production"
    Tracks were:
        "Brainstorm" - Detroit, St. Andrew's Hall 5/18/91
        "Paranoia" - Tilburg, Nooderligt 10/12/91
        "Down Through The Night" - San Francisco, The stone 10/7/89
        "You Shouldn't Do That" - Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95
        "Urban Guerilla" - Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95
        "You Know You're Only Dreaming" - Cologne, Germany, Live Music =
Hall
            11/13/94
        "Born To Go" - Sheffield, City Hall 2/21/84
        "10 Seconds Of Forever" - Sheffield, City Hall 2/21/84
        "Seven By Seven" - Utrecht, Tivoli 4/29/93
        "Time We Left This World Today" - St. Catherine's, The Hideaway =
5/17/91=20
        "Master Of The Universe" - New York, Marquee 5/9/91
        "Be Yourself" - Utrecht, Tivoli 4/29/93
        "Sonic Attack" - London, Hammersmith Odeon 4/21/88
        "Silver Machine" - Bradford, St. George's Hall 10/13/81
        "Welcome to The Future" - Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95

    Next: Corridor Of Flame, versions 1 and 2:
    Tracks:
        "Co-Pilots Of Spaceship Earth" - Birmingham, Kinetic Playground =
12/12/71.
            Renamed "Technicians Of Spaceship Earth" on version 2.
        "Void Of Golden Light" - Boulder, Fox Theatre 4/23/95
        "Lost Chronicles" - Clyro Court Festival 10/1/88. Nick guests.
        "Mark Of Cain" - Folkestone, Leas Cliffe Hall 6/1/85.  Fairly =
crappy recording
            of a great song by Huw.
        "The Secret Agent" - Utrecht, Tivoli 4/29/93
        "Beast Of Chaos" - Potter's Bar, Elm Court 10/16/71
        "Crystal Void" - London, Brixton Academy 7/6/91.  2nd half of =
the song; Tim
            Blake guests on keyboards.
        "Steppenwolf" - London, Hammersmith Odeon 11/12/82
        "Time For Sale" - Manchester, Palace Theatre 9/18/76; replaced =
by:
            "Lord Of Light" - Berlin, Marquee 10/28/95 and
            "Cajun Jinx" - London, Hammersmith Odeon 11/27/86, on =
version 2
        "Phone Home Elliott" - Chippenham, Golddigger's Club" 11/15/82
        "The Age Of The Micro Man" - St. Catherine's, The Hideaway =
4/5/95
        "Waiting For My Man" - london, Roundhouse 2/27/77
        "PXR5" - Preston, Guild Hall 12/6/79
        "The Golden Void" - Oxford, Apollo Theatre 10/27/81
A note: "Space Sex" was never included nor intended on this collection.

    Then, I tried The A Files, taken, all-digitally, from my recording =
at Boulder, Fox Theatre, but this ruffled quite a few Hawk feathers, and =
was the end of "Nova Drive Productions," such as it was.
    Tracks:
        "Starflight"
        "Ejection"
        "25 Years"
        "You Shouldn't Do That"
        "The White Zone"
        "LSD"/"Pre-Med"
        "Death Trap"
        "Wastelands"
        "Are You Losing Your Mind"
        "Assassins Of Allah"
        "Space Is Their (Palestine)"
        "Robot"
        "Alien (I Am)"
        "Vega"
        "Urban Guerilla"
        "Silver Machine"

    Due to a friendly (!) conversation with Doug Smith, this was the end =
of the not-for-profit, completely fan-based distribution of CD-R's from =
me.  Is the World a better place because of it?  Who the hell knows.  I =
for one (among many, I know) still greatly enjoy my live Hawkwind =
recordings, and still create art (not Art, I'm sure) for them.  Ah well. =
 Keep flying, keep trying.
                                                                         =
       Kevin Sommers