HW : Too long albums (was NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!)

Kenneth Magnusson bishop.garden at FALKOPING.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Mon Nov 10 17:22:31 EST 1997

Hi,

Thanx for Your thoughts on the subject, I've been thinking of this for a
long time because of the records I have produced. Now to some comments on
Your comments:

>William Duffy:
>The problem nowadays is that artists now have to fit into a larger format
>because of the size CD's hold, compared to LP, otherwise they feel they are
>shortchanging  their fans.

Don't they feel that they are 'mistreating' their fans with songs which are
not up to scratch ?

>Jon Browne:
>well, not really, because, these days bands tend to release every 2 to 3
>years intstead of once a year. So really we're still getting more or
>less the same amount of "songs per year".

Maybe it's because the albums, generally, are recorded during 2-5 months,
there are just not enough creativity to produce all the tracks the way they
deserve, so that would leave us with good songs but with below par
production, I can only speak for myself, but when we had recorded Flux
(approx 45-50 min) I was totally exhausted, I didn't touch my keyboards for
six months, and I feel if we would have done the additional 20-25 minutes
it would have been disastrous to the final result.
Now, artists like Rush, Hawkwind and David Bowie are, of course, pro's, but
they seem to have the same problem.

>Daniel Wikdahl:
>Hmmm, but I think I agree with Kenneth... New CDs often tend to contain
>+15 minutes of crap... or, ehrm, maybe not crap... well, boring songs...

Ah, we the Swedes (swedes?) are known for our excellent sense of taste, of
course Daniel agrees, he's a 'brother' (moose-brother?) ;^>

>Max Wilcox:
>            I've always liked the idea of having multimedia extras on CDs,
>such as video footage, texts, lyrics, interviews, etc, etc...

Agreed !

Kenneth

Bishop Garden Records
Box 747
521 22 Falkoping
SWEDEN
Tel +46 (0)515 823 08
bishop.garden at falkoping.mail.telia.com

The Moor
http://www3.tripnet.se/~hmm/moor/

This message was transmitted from a MicroSoft-free device.