OFF: Whitesnake

Ola Nyberg ola.nyberg at SYSTEM3R.SE
Mon Nov 10 17:05:29 EST 1997

I know that this is way off, but I feel I have to share this with you...

I went to see David Coverdale and Whitesnake (well David Coverdale & Co,
not one single member is left since 1987) Friday night (Nov. 7) here in
Stockholm. It's supposed to be their "fairwell" tour (have we heard it
before? Quo in 1984, for example...), so I thought why not... (yes, I
bought their marketing trick).

Anyway, I am almost 100% certain that parts of Coverdale's vocals were ON
TAPE! Most notably on the track Love Ain't No Stranger, in which there
are a few slow sections featuring only Coverdale's vocals on top of
keyboards. (I believe that this is called "singback", please correct me
if I'm wrong). He still handles the lower, bluesy, register quite well,
and he can do the screams, but the mid-range seems to be gone... That
used to be his strength... Apparently, he felt it was safer to play a
tape with a fifteen year-old recording... I've heard that he's had
problems with his vocal cords, does anybody else know anything about it?

Has anybody else seen them on this tour who could confirm my suspicions?

Ola

P.S. When you've heard ten songs in a row about the same subject, all
containing the word "love" in the chorus, it actually gets a bit tedious.
Coverdale also claimed that "Even at my age I still like to f***". Very
original. But he is still a showman, I'll give him that... The audience,
by the way, loved every minute of it. I thought it was OK, not more. I
don't regret going.