other/off: DVD (was re: recordable CD-ROM's)

Sonique sonique at MAIL.PCMICRO.COM.AU
Thu Nov 13 09:14:17 EST 1997

Transmission details -
Source: Mark Edmonds

> Overall though, my advice would be to wait. When I was in North America
> earlier this year, it was clear that DVD was beginning to establish a foot
> hold, but in Europe it has hardly made any impact at all. Therefore, let the
> market establish itself, wait for the prices to drop, look at the titles
> being released and then decide whether you want to commit yourself to the
> expense.

When I was in Taiwan in August, I saw literally thousands of DVD disks in PC,
Record and Vidoeo stores ... so even though they were probably all illegal
bootlegs, I'd say that it would be worth looking at the US players (Taiwan
use NTSC for TV, so I'd assume that they will use the US standard...)

Sonique

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'   .---.  __  .--------   Long
http://www.pcmicro.com.au/~Sonique       /     \( o`-,  -----   may