OFF: Video formats

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Thu Nov 13 08:30:02 EST 1997

>British Format is PAL and it's on VHS frame.  It costs more, all editing done
>NTSC.
>
>US format is NTSC on VHS
>
>The difference is that PAL is 25 frames per second, NTSC is 30.

Actually, color NTSC is about 29.97 frames per second, an adjustment
made when they added color.  You have to "drop frame", or skip one
frame every other second or so to have your timing come out right
for commercial breaks and the like...

Of course, PAL has more scanlines.

Is the video available in SECAM? <g>

Andrew, who used to do this stuff
for RGB (Amilink)..

Andrew A. Apold (mordru at magg.net), aka  |
Roger Shrubstaff,                       |
Duchy of Silverwater (BL), Amtgard      |
aka Asgrim Dragon -=UDIC=-              |
 "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random