HW: Stonehenge 1984

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Nov 13 10:12:34 EST 1997

Jon Browne writes:

> fofp, you were there that night weren't you? Or had you gone to Glasto
> like many did for a couple of days, to return after?

I saw Hawkwind at Stonehenge in 1981 (and met the band for the first
time) and then went on to see them at Glasters the next night.

After that I was at Stonehenge again either in 1982 or 1983. It's hard
to remember but it was the year they played the pyramid tent up at the
top field towards Divizes rather than the pyramid tent nead the side
track as in 1984. Nik and Dave had a physical fight on stage when they
both tried to play different tracks and after Nik had done his "Get off
my mummy Uncle Sam" rant. It was the worst Hawkwind gig I've ever seen
and the only one I walked away from. It was also my introduction to The
Phenomenon of Luminosity and I had a great time later on. That may have
been the year that I heard Hawkwind from the Stones at dawn, but given
the distance to the pyramid stage that year, unlikely. It was almost
certainly '84 that this occurred since the pyramid tent was within sight
of the Stones that year.

I was there in '84 and

> Evidently the adage "if you remember it, you wern't there" is a truism
> after all. :)

I don't think I was too twixt on the night Hawkwing played in '84 though
I'm sure I was on other nights.

> Jon

FoFP